This time around I have totally different wants and needs than I had with Brody. I had no idea about baby gear. I wouldn’t call myself an expert now by any means, but I have lived and learned. Here are my top 8 baby items I wish I had with Brody and hope to have with new baby!
1. Newborn Sized Cloth Diapers: Brody didn’t wear his first cloth diaper until 2 months. I had a small stash of snap and fit pockets that are just not one size fits all. Brody was 8 pounds 13 ounces, so he wasn’t a light weight, but I still had to wait for him to grow into his cloth. With new baby I am desperate for some newborn sized pockets or even some newborn sized covers with prefolds.
2. Woven Wrap: I didn’t try to wrap Brody with a woven wrap until he was 18 months. It was a MAJOR fail. We got our first Mei Tai carrier around 6 months and used that, an ergo and ring sling since then. With new baby I want to start right off the bat with a woven wrap. There are so many more options with a woven but I think it’s one of those things you need to get your baby used to from an earlier age, not 18 months.
3. High End Stroller/Travel System: My mother in law was generous enough to get us a Graco Travel System for Brody. I had no idea what I wanted. I would have been fine with the cheapest Costco brand travel system but she wanted to get us something nicer. I couldn’t believe people spent over $200 on baby strollers. THEN I had my kid and realized what all the fuss about higher end baby gear was about. I’d love a Stokke, Bugaboo, Phil and Teds, UPPAbaby, or Peg Perego….ect. I really like the bassinet type attachments and hope for a new high end stroller with baby numero dos. When Bro and I went on vacation to San Jose last year I wanted a nicer umbrella stroller for easy travel. I had a $30 Costco one that one of my BFFs got me off my registry. I then started test driving $150-$200 range umbrellas and really started noticing the difference. More money does equal better quality when it comes to strollers.
4. Life Factory Glass Bottles: These are amazing glass bottles with high quality glass, BPA free silicon nipple and sleeve. They can go straight from the freezer to boiling water.
5. Those month sickers you put on onesies to take monthly photos: Now how cool are those?! I’m pissed I didn’t think of this with Bro
6. Organic Mattress: I just had whatever mattress came with our new crib. After learning some disturbing info on what is on/in those I am opting for a nice organic mattress with new baby.
7. Nuna Leaf: It doesn’t require batteries and keeps swaying quite awhile after you give it a gentle push. This chair is great from newborns up to over 100 pounds!
8. 4moms Plush Mamaroo Infant Seat: Because one awesome infant seat wouldn’t be enough I decided to add this seat as well! I just couldn’t choose- I “need” them both! While the Nuna Leaf is simple, this seat connects to your iPod, has 5 different speed and motion settings. This is the high tech lover’s seat.