An Accidental Home Birth: Mandy and Elissa’s Story

         I will start my story on Friday, December 13th. I was 3 days overdue at this point and went to the midwife for a NST and check up. Elissa was still looking perfect and I was dilated to 2.5-3 cm. The midwife stripped my membranes and sent me home telling me that she hoped to see me that weekend. That evening contractions started. I called the midwife after they were 10-15 minutes apart for 2 hours. They continued to get closer together until they were 5-10 minutes apart and feeling stronger. But after an hour of that, they suddenly stopped. I was so frustrated! I tried to get them started again by walking and bouncing on my ball, but to no avail. So I went to bed.
          Saturday morning came and I was not having any contractions. I had some random contractions throughout the day but nothing consistent or significant. Saturday night and into Sunday morning I was woken up by some random contractions that were pretty strong, but I was able to go back to sleep in between them.
          Sunday morning came and no contractions at all. I was just exhausted from the random ones throughout the night and them stopping and starting for the past two days. At 3:30 pm contractions started again. I didn’t get my hopes up this time. When they started, they felt much stronger than previous ones and were immediately about 3-5 minutes apart. They continued for an hour or so and we called the midwife. I wanted to go in and get checked because I felt like this was it. We got to the birth center about 4:45 and when they checked me I was still only at 3 cm and at -2 station. That was disappointing! I felt like all of this was for nothing and that I wasn’t going to be able to endure all of this. So the midwife said I should just go home and labor there. I drank some pregnancy tea before I left the birth center and she sent me home with black and blue cohosh to use that evening. She suggested I take some Benadryl about 8 to help me get some good sleep that night. Her guess was I would wake up in active labor during the night or it would happen in the morning. So we headed home reluctantly. We got home about 6:15. I was still having contractions about 3-5 minutes apart consistently. I got in the tub to help ease the discomfort and help me relax. Contractions started getting much stronger and closer together very quickly! I was in the tub for a good hour or so and got out when I felt like I needed to move around more during the contractions. I told Aaron to call the midwife at 7:30 and tell her that I was having much stronger contractions. She said that if they continued for another 45 minutes to call her back. They definitely continued and got much stronger! I made him call her back before the 45 minutes and tell her that I was done and we were coming to the birth center! So about 8 pm he loaded up the car and I decided to try to go to the bathroom before getting in the car. I was really worried that my water was going to break in the car! When I stood up off the toilet I felt something between my legs. I reached down and felt a head bulging out!! I freaked out. I yelled to Aaron, “We aren’t going to make it! She’s coming out now and I can’t stop it!” So he runs into the bathroom. I tell him to get some towels and I laid down on the floor. He immediately calls the midwife and tells her what’s going on. She tells him to not let me push too hard. Well Elissa’s head was already completely out by the time she said that. I didn’t even push! He checked for the cord around her neck and then with the next contraction, she was out! At 8:10 pm, he laid her on my chest and I wrapped her up in a towel. I was in shock! Aaron then told the midwife that Elissa was out and she was crying. The midwife suggested that we call the paramedics since they could get here quicker than she could. So they came and cut the cord and transported us to the local hospital. We were the talk of the hospital for the next few days! I didn’t enjoy having to be at the hospital for 48 hours but we were cared for very well!
    Giving birth at home and being transported to the hospital was not in my birth plan but it was a once in a lifetime experience. I wouldn’t change it now that I have gone through it. I felt so empowered and strong afterwards. I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to handle the pain with no meds but God’s design of the woman’s body definitely worked! I am so blessed to have had a safe and fast delivery! Plus I did it medication free just like I wanted!!

Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 7.18.22 PM


Leave comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.