Mom Monday: A Baby Story

Two years later … and I’m finally sharing my story.

 KaylaM WEDDING Ceremony 470

January 29, 2011 was basically the day that every little girl dreams of. I woke up, went and got my hair done, took our sick dog to the vet (seriously things like this happen to me all the time), got my dress on, arrived at the church, and walked …well, I sang down the aisle and married my best friend.

…little did we know …


Roughly 6 hours after tying the knot, I convinced my husband to stop by Walgreens after dinner to get some pregnancy test just to rule that out. I knew I was late but figured it was from all the stress of the wedding. My dad and stepmom bought us a night in this gorgeous bed & breakfast! We arrived back to the room and just as we were planning on getting into the hot tub, I decided to pee on the stick. I left it on the counter and went about my business. Probably about 3-4 minutes later I went back to look.

Two lines. Two lines that changed my life forever. I turned to my husband and simply said “Stephen, there are two lines.” Of course he asked what that meant and so I explained and he said “okay.” He then proceeded to get violently ill (he swears it was the “flu”) and we had to end our honeymoon early.


Fast-forward a couple of months. The grandparents all found out over the phone due to my doctor’s office sending the insurance papers to my mothers address after specifically being advised not to. However, all of the grandparents were thrilled beyond belief.


I’ve always been the type of girl who does what everyone thinks she can’t.  Basically if you want me to really get something done, then tell me I’m not capable of doing it. I absolutely love proving people wrong.  Well, for example, basically my whole pregnancy I said “I do not want an epidural.” So many people would laugh in my face, tell me “yeah you think that now”, say that there was no way possible I’d make it without, etc.




It’s now September 29, 2011. Two thirty in the morning. I woke up with very intense contractions. The day before at my doctor’s appointment I was already 3 centimeters dilated and 100% effaced. September 30th was my original due date. So I started timing the contractions and they were so sporadic and all over the place that I just did my best to ignore them. I couldn’t go back to sleep so I played around on Instagram, watched “19 Kids and Counting”, and chatted with friends on Facebook. Around 4:30am I decided to take a hot shower and see if the contractions would become more intense. Indeed they did. Around 6:00am I woke up my husband and told him that we should probably get up and around to go the hospital because I truly thought that it was time. I had already been 2 times before for false labor so he wasn’t exactly thrilled to be getting out of bed so early in the morning. I told him to go slow because I knew my doctor wouldn’t be arriving to the hospital until 7:30am. Oh … and for the record my doctor tried to convince me to induce 3 different times for no medical purpose … just if I was ready to have my baby. Yeah….thanks but no thanks, he came when he was ready.


We got to the hospital at 6:15am and the lady at the front desk laughed when she saw me because I’m sure she assumed it was false labor again. I had been timing my contractions on the way to the hospital with an app on my phone and you could average all your contractions and it would tell you based on those what phase of labor you should be in. Mine said transition which is normally 8cm-10cm. I laughed and thought no way!


8 centimeters. I was 8 centimeters when I arrived at the hospital.


I was so proud of myself for holding out as long as I had. We quickly called our relatives and told them that today was baby day!


To make a very long story short, I welcomed my sweet baby boy at 9:18am completely free of any medications. My doctor walked in 3 minutes before he was born. I pushed for 21 minutes (only 3 times).


Elijah Leion Fletcher weighed 6lbs 14oz and was 20 inches long.


I felt like superwoman. Seriously, I felt like I could run a marathon. It was one of the best feelings every to be able to say “I did it when so many thought I couldn’t.”


Now, I want to make it clear that had I given in to an epidural, or had I needed a c-section, I wouldn’t have thought any less of myself, nor do I think less of anyone who chooses to use medications. This is what was best for me and for my situation.


I remember staring at him all day long. We breastfed for 4 beautiful days. I had no support and basically made myself think that I was starving him so I gave him formula.


We still co-sleep at 16 months. We’ve been cloth diapering for about 3 months now and we love it (another thing that people doubted me about).


All I know, is that this story, is the best story that I’ve ever been able to share.


Because it’s our story.


1 Comment

  1. Amanda M S -  March 8, 2013 - 7:25 am

    Thanks for sharing! Way to go! Did they still make you get an IV even though you didn’t have an epi?

Leave comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.