These are seriously fantastic! I wouldn’t share a recipe with you that wasn’t amazing and kid approved. Brody loves sloppy lentils and I like them for the fact that he gets to have a meatless version of an American classic.
Sloppy Lentils- Serves 6-8
- 1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can 15oz Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce
- whole wheat hamburger buns
- ketchup, mustard, pickles and cheese
or if you want to avoid some of the extra crap and chemicals they put in Manwich here is a recipe I like for the sauce
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 table spoons brown sugar or agave nectar
- cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
Cook dry lentils according to directions on the bag. You usually add them to a pan full of water and cook about 20 minutes until soft. Drain. Once they’re drained return to pan and take a potato masher and slightly mash the lentils. If you’re using a jar of Manwich add to lentils, stir and serve on a bun with your favorite condiments!
If you’re making the homemade sauce:
Take a medium fry pan, add a tablespoon of olive or grape seed oil and cook onions and green peppers on medium/high heat until soft. Add all other ingredients and simmer on low while lentils are cooking. When lentils are done add homemade sauce. Serve on buns with your favorite condiments.