Mom Mondays: Blessed beyond reason: birth story of Ezra

It has been over two years since Ezra was born, so this is really fun for me to recall the details of his fast, wonderful (accidental) unassisted homebirth! Here is a revised version of his story I posted in 2009 on
I get it, I finally get it. Now I understand the women that talk about prodromal labor. I was “sure” that I was going to give birth WEEKS ago. I had the typical Braxton Hicks, menstrual like cramps, real (or so I thought) contractions that would come on strong and then before I knew it would fade out to nothing. I had lots of low pressure from the baby’s head, I was swollen and tired and just ready to birth! The house had been completely and thoroughly cleaned for weeks now, just sure that any moment I would be thrust into full blown labor and I would soon be snuggling my newest little love. For days, weeks, nothing happened.
However, Sunday October 11th at 6:35 I woke up and went pee. When I wiped it was tinged with blood!! Whoo Hoo! I was stoked. I had been having a couple contractions throughout the night, but that was nothing new. I tried to lie down, but I was just so excited I decided to go for a walk instead. I called my midwife just to let her know. I was cramping, but it wasn’t anything too intense. She encouraged me to go rest while I could and keep her posted with anything new that happened.
It was difficult to rest. My nerves were on edge because our first son was a four hour labor, from when the doctor broke my waters to birth. Our second son was a fast one also. I awoke with a huge contraction and one and a half hours he came earth side, so I was really wondering how quickly things were going to progress. After my walk I ate some oatmeal and cleaned my bathrooms, and then made sure the boys had some movies to watch. Then I decided to lie down and rest. Jesse, my husband, had gone to work, and was just going to work until noon. I slept for about 3 hours waking up with slight cramping. I started to time them around 12:30 and they were staying around 20-30 minutes apart. After Jesse got home from work (he brought me an apple cider to enjoy on that beautiful rainy fall day…….love.) we just kind of hung out. I started a chicken in the crock pot for soup later, Jesse worked out, and all the while I would say “TIME” and that was his clue to write down the time for the contractions I was having. I just couldn’t sit down and rest, it seemed to make them more painful just waiting for the next one to come. So I continued cooking and cleaning a little. I was reading to the boys and by this time it was about 7pm. I decided to go lay down while Jesse put the boys to bed. It was a total God thing that they went fast to sleep that early! They never do that! I got up to go say good night, and didn’t make it. I had my first transition contraction. I had to stop in the hall and brace myself on the wall. Whew, game time.

I made it to bed, knowing that it could be like this all through the night. So we cuddled up and tried to watch Hulu, by this time it was 8pm. Contractions were intense! 8 to 15 minutes apart….I had to moan. (Drop the jaw style, courtesy of Ina May). I called my midwife to let her know they were really strong and she said she was going to head over. She only lives 10 minutes away. I tried to talk her out of it, since the contractions were very inconsistent, and anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes apart. But she said that she would head over and just get things set up. Well, I got off the phone with her and got up to go to the bathroom…I had to poop. Once I got on the toilet my contractions came one right after another…literally, no break in between. Meanwhile, Jesse was calling my sister in law to come over and help, thinking there is plenty of time. She also lives really close. As I am having crazy contractions on the toilet my water breaks. I yell out to Jesse “MY WATERS JUST BROKE!!!!” He comes running into the bathroom grabs some towels and tries to get me to come off the toilet–I couldn’t. I couldn’t move. I was in a different world it seemed. Jesse kept saying, “Janae, you HAVE to get up. Let’s get in the shower, let’s get in the bed, you HAVE to get up.” I could feel the head crowning and out it came. There was such relief I was able to stand up at that point, I had my hand on the baby’s head and I felt my labia tear all the way up. It was painful, but also brought relief, like it made room for the shoulders (I tore there with both boys too) Jesse was on his knees ready to catch. It felt like a really really long time until the next contraction. We quickly recalled all the things that Faith, (midwife) had taught us in the birth preparation class. I remember giggling and saying something like “Ok, here comes the body, get ready, here it comes, catch it!” I was still standing. With the next contraction, out slid our baby boy. Jesse brought him up to my chest. I couldn’t move. From the time my waters broke until he was born were only minutes. I just started to laugh and rub him and talk to him. He was so pink, no vernix, absolutely perfect. I asked my husband to call the midwife. Thankfully she had already come and was out in the parking lot. I think she and my sister-in-law came in around the same time. I was still standing in the bathroom holding our little Ezra. I felt glued to the floor. It was awesome!

My midwife, Faith, helped me to the bed, but before I could sit down the placenta was ready to come. So I delivered that standing up leaning against the bed. Then, all was well and I lay down.

I still laugh about the whole thing. It just happened so quickly. I went from contractions 8-15 minutes apart to giving birth just minutes later! Wow, our bodies are amazing.

I got really vocal through some of the last contractions and our boys stayed asleep! That was a miracle in itself too. We woke them up to meet Ezra and to have a little science lesson with seeing the placenta and how it works and the cutting of the cord. Precious.

Then after the midwife stitched me up, I showered and got all snug in bed with our perfectly plump baby. I am in awe. I am overcome with how much I love life, how our bodies can make life and how God gives life. We are blessed beyond reason.


Janae Heikkila
homeschooling, husband pleasing, lover of life, mama to 3 boys and a baby girl.

No Comments

  1. Kelli -  April 30, 2012 - 2:31 pm

    What a beautiful birth story! This brings back memories of my last baby’s home birth. We could very well have had her unassisted as well, since my labor felt like it was still going to be a while when in reality I was very close to delivering her. Congratulations! He’s beautiful!

Leave comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.