I’m not really a resolutions type of girl. In fact, I am more of a “don’t plan anything and see what happens” kind of person in general, so New Year’s resolutions aren’t something I’ve ever actually put any thought or effort into.
Alyssa nails my feelings in her post, and Amanda, Cristin, and Laney made some great points as well.
There are plenty of things I’d like to work on; my messiness, my inability to keep anything organized or uncluttered, how much I talk in third person instead of my authentic voice, and so on. Believe me, the list is pretty long.
I adapt to big changes pretty easily, the life altering stuff that throws others for a loop doesn’t rattle me. Yet, I have a hard time with the small things; like getting the dishes get done every night or remembering to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer. It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a big deal for me. I have to force myself into the kitchen and pretty much bind and gag that voice in my head that always tells me to wait until later.
Because this is the beginning of a very different life for my family, I feel like I need to do something to celebrate our new start and our growing number. Rather than something I need to stick to for an ENTIRE year, I’ve decided to make a goal for each month. Some are easy and some will require serious effort and training, but doing (or not doing) one thing for 365 days seems so daunting and overwhelming right out of the gate.
My goals for 2014:
- Gently and positively transition Emi to her own bed and stick to it, even on the bad nights. We’ll still be co-sleeping, but with her in her own bed next to ours.
- Finish Birthing From Within before I actually birth this baby.
- Spend more time watching and less time assisting.
- Dedicate time each day doing arts and crafts.
- Walk more places.
- Party like a rock star (with a nursling and two drink max) at Camp Mommycon with the rest of the TMD/Mommycon ladies.
- Cook more meals from scratch.
- Implement mandatory date nights with the Hub.
- Splash in puddles.
- Run the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Half Marathon with the Hub. (On my birthday even!)
- Cook Thanksgiving dinner for my family.
- Bake more cookies.
Did you make a resolution, or like the most of the girls, forgo resolutions this year? Or are you making your own hybrid resolution-inspired goals like Laney and I? I’d love to hear about them!