Road Trip with 3 kids to Seattle! Ai Yi Yi.

Hi Mamas! It has been a while. We have been busy busy at our house! We just got back from the most insane road trip ever, if I ever mention the bright idea of driving across the country with 3 kids in 2 days, please smack me back into reality and remind me that hotels were built for a reason. I guess it wasn’t THAT bad, but even though we got back on Monday, I still feel like I haven’t truly slept in a month. It’s amazing how just a little bump in your sleep schedule will tip everything over for days upon days.

Our trip was a 22 turned 1-million-hour drive to the Pacific North West to visit my hubby’s family – many of them were family members that the girls and I got to meet for the very first time which was really cool. We also got to do all kinds of things that we had never done before!

We drove through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon & Utah – all states that the girls had never been to before, a few that I had never been to. (Only 9 left on my go-to-every-state bucket list…) We also played the license plate game. We saw 41 plates!



We met a giant shark in Wyoming.
We had a carsickness episode that stopped us at this neat memorial in Idaho in memory of a terrible mining accident. It was a great learning opportunity, but also the first step in learning about what death really means for our oldest. We have a big conversation ahead of us soon – let me know in the comments if you have any tips! I don’t want her to be fearful of death.

In happier news, we took the girls on a ferry ride with our car, which was fabulous. So many people slept on the ferry, probably part of their daily commute, but I couldn’t imagine not enjoying the breeze, the salty air, and staring at the giant jelly fish in the water while looking for seals, dolphins & whales.
We stayed in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I could live there forever!
Zoelie got her first beesting- she was stung by a  hornet, she was in so much pain. It broke my heart. Thankfully Yaya came to the rescue with baking soda paste to draw out the owie.
Penny protested being girasol-ed, boba-ed, kokadi-ed, lillebaby-ed, wcmt-ed.. for the first time. And then we figured out why.
Her first two teeth broke through! Ouch. But so cute!

We collected tons of oysters & dug for clams and then roasted them in the fire to eat for a late night snack. I didn’t partake… “I don’t eat shellfish. Mom always says, “Don’t ever eat nothin’ that can carry its house around with it. Who knows the last time it’s been cleaned.” Bonus points if you can name that movie 😉

We found giant starfish and little teeny tiny crabs.

I found my first 4-leaf clover, Zoelie claimed it.

The girls met their infamous great grandfather for the first time.
We said goodbye to Colin’s great-grandmother. I wish I could have known her, she was remembered so fondly and the stories about her were wonderful.

Penny put her feet in the Pacific for the first time.
Allister discovered her favorite way to sit.
We also made it to 5 crazy years of being married on the 7th! It’s a happy miracle.
We headed towards home and stopped to visit our sweet friend Kelli..and Allister’s little doppleganger!
And then Allister turned herself into a smurf on the way home.
And somehow we made it back in time for soccer practice with an extra hour to spare.

Take the time to make some family memories, even if its time consuming, expensive & exhausting. It’s always always always worth it.

Leave comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.